The next time you're watching the news, and a pundit talks about how President Obama's performance is influenced by his community organizing days, please...
DO NOT ASSOCIATE COMMUNITY ORGANIZING WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA!
In my opinion, Mr. Obama's presidency is a case study in what good community organizers do NOT do (if they want to win the changes they say they want to win). Just a few of the many examples I can offer (in no particular order):
- repeatedly starting negotiations with the other side by giving away the store (or, more accurately, the entire mall),
- letting the other side frame the debate,
- shifting the balance of power - THE WRONG WAY - so that it is more concentrated among the wealthy,
- ignoring the interests of his base,
- not involving his base in organizing after 2008,
- leaving his base feeling less, not more, empowered.